Blog Archive

Tuesday, April 11, 2023

" Adrift" by M A Hunter


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

A stag on a Yacht? Count me in! "Adrift" by M A Hunter is a nail-biting psychological thriller that you won't be able to put down.

The book follows six college friends who drifted apart after the university and now, ten years later, reunite for a stag party on a private Yacht. They were all roommates in their old university days until a shared secret tore them apart.

Meet: Pete, the narrator and all-around good guy; his best friend, Harry, and the only one he kept in touch with since those days; Sophie, a mother hen; Fergus, a hot-temper guy who is engaged to Pete's sister; and the two friends, Christophe and Rhys.

The guys are having a good time, while the bride-to-be and her friends celebrate their own hen party. Tensions are seething under the surface, but the freely flowing alcohol smooths high spirits. Pretty soon the dream vacation turns into a living nightmare when the captain and the yacht's hostess go missing, they lose net connection, and they find themselves adrift at sea with no way to call for help. Someone is willing to go to great lengths to keep their secret and the past buried.

I enjoyed the story very much, although it had a couple of minor flaws. The secret was pretty predictable, though the motives were original. I  have read a few books recently with the same so-called secret, so it is me rather than the book. Sophie's behavior was a bit unbelievable at times and requires suspension of belief.  Plenty the times I wanted to shake some sense into her. In addition, the ending was rather abrupt. An epilogue would have been nice.

That being said, it didn't bother me or hurt my enjoyment of the book.  The author does a good job of keeping the reader interested. I didn't guess who the villain was, so the twists caught me off-guard. The story is fast-paced, action-packed, and gripping. Therefore, I rate the book 5/5 stars. I found the novel addictive and just had to keep turning the pages to see what happens next. Definitely recommended!
 
For more info about the book:  Adrift by M A Hunter

* Thank you NetGalley and (publisher) for the opportunity to read this arc.  All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment