Blog Archive

Monday, June 5, 2023

"Sleep No More" by Seanan McGuire

 









 
 



 





"Sleep No More" is the 17th book in the brilliant October Daye urban fantasy series, and my, what a book! I love the author and, having read and loved all the books in the series, I was delighted to get an ARC of her new book.

The previous book ended in a high cliffhanger and drama, with Titiana's threats to get a tit for tat, and Toby waking up in Amandine’s tower in Titiana's twisted version of Faerie. This book continues from the point where the last book ended.

Titiana (the Summer Queen and the second wife of Oberon) whisked Toby into another version of reality (she is, after all, the queen of illusions), the world as she thinks it ought to be. Titania had made Faerie in her own ideal image, and it isn't a pretty sight. All those she deems inferior (such as shapeshifters and beasties) disappeared from this alternate version of Faerie.

Toby lives in Amandine's Tower, together with her step-father, Simon, her sister, August, and her mother, Amandine "the Liar". She is just a low changeling handmaid who is not permitted to use her blood magic, and she is seemingly happy with her lot. She doesn't remember her old life, Tybalt, and other cared-for family members. However, something is rotten in the state of Summerland, in the way changelings are treated, and slowly Toby comes to realize that.

The plot thickens when Li Qin Zhou, the Duchess of Dreamer's Glass, requests the presence of one of Sylvester's bloodline, and Toby volunteers to go. The first cracks of this "perfect" world show when Toby gets a taste (literally) of another life and reality. Wherever Toby is, chaos occurs, so what follows next is a highly intoxicating adventure in the usual Toby fashion that I highly recommend.

I loved the book! It is not the simplest adventure - it takes a while for all the wrinkles to smooth out - but I didn't mind and enjoyed the ride. Give me more of Toby's world!!! I didn't want to leave that world and say goodbye to my favorite characters. We don't see much of Tybalt here, more the pity, but it will be modified in the next book, which I look forward to.

I liked that past events were recapped in the form of flashbacks and explanations to Toby by the
Luidaeg(one of my favorite characters) and other characters. It helped to refresh my memory as, after all, it's been a while since I read the previous book. I also liked the relationship that developed between August and Toby. I must say that I liked August better in this book.

It was also interesting to see another (submissive) side of Toby, although I much prefer her usual kick-ass side. The author drew the reader from the first page of this heart-pounding story of deception, illusions, and ceaseless action... Where nothing is what it seems, and every truth brought to light exposes a darker illusion.

There is a bonus to the reader at the end of the book, a novella featuring Rayseline. It was nice to see the events from her perspective. Truth be told, I don't like her and feel she got off lightly after what she has done. The same goes for Simon. He may have had his reasons to do what he did to Toby, but he laughed while he did it. A big no-no. He redeemed himself a bit in the last books, though.

If you didn't read any of the books in the series (is it possible??), you should start from the first book and read it in order. Each book starts from where the previous book ended, so you need to read them in order to understand the subtle nuances and all the goings on.

If it wasn't already clear from my glowing review, I absolutely loved the book and am eagerly looking forward to reading the next installment. I must have it and now! Yes, I can't delay gratification when it comes to books. If you loved the other books of the series, you will love this one as well. This is a book you won't want to miss! Seanan McGuire is a master storyteller, and I am a willingly captured audience! 

* Thank you NetGalley and (publisher) for the opportunity to read this arc.  All opinions are my own.


* For more info about the book: "Sleep No More" by Seanan McGuire



No comments:

Post a Comment