Blog Archive

Sunday, July 9, 2023

"The Lodge" by Miranda Rijks


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Wow, what a book!  "The Lodge" by Miranda Rijks is an absorbing thriller that grabs you from the first page to the last. I was pleasantly surprised by it. It exceeds my expectations.

The book follows Anna, a woman who escaped a controlling ex and is now engaged to Joel, a veterinarian. When Joe is invited for an interview at the luxurious safari lodge in South Africa, all expenses paid, he eagerly accepts. Anna is invited too, but she isn't thrilled with the idea of moving to South Africa.

When they reach the reserve, Anna is shocked to see her
toxic ex, a man she believed to be dead, there. He is accompanied by a new girlfriend, but it doesn't alleviate her concerns. Is it just a coincidence, or there is more to it than meets the eye?? The plot thickens when disturbing events unfold, leading Anna to suspect that her ex has something to do with them.

I enjoyed the book very much. The story managed to surprise me in more ways than one. Although I had my suspicions, I was still surprised by some of the twists. The book jumps between past and present and is written in the first person from Anna's and another character's perspective, which I liked. The writing was fluent, and the author expertly built the tension and atmosphere throughout the book. I also enjoyed the unique settings and could envision myself being there.

The book explores themes of toxic relationships, animal rights, love, and obsession. The  behavior of the control freak ex felt very realistic and scary to boot. The book is loaded with surprises, dark twists, and creepy moments that kept me on edge. The cast of characters was well-portrayed, and their interactions felt authentic. I liked Anna and admired her gutsiness. While she may have been a bit naive, she handled herself well.

This is the first book I've read by Miranda Rijks, but it certainly won't be the last. This book was a great read, and I wholeheartedly recommend it. It kept me engaged and captivated throughout, never once leaving me bored. It is definitely a book you wouldn't want to miss.

* Thank you NetGalley and (publisher) for the opportunity to read this arc.  All opinions are my own.

* For more info about the book: The Lodge


No comments:

Post a Comment