Blog Archive

Wednesday, August 9, 2023

"The Wedding Guest" by Kathryn Croft

 













Wow, what a book! It surpassed my expectations. "The Wedding Guest" by Kathryn Croft is a page-turning psychological thriller that will have you on the edge. The saying "There are two sides to every story. And there is the truth." fits this book perfectly.

The book takes place in England and revolves around Emily, a teacher who is about to marry Jeremy, a pilot, and become the stepmother of his daughter Lexi. Emily's wedding day takes a dark turn when an uninvited guest (Christian), who knows about her shadow past, turns up unexpectedly at her wedding reception. Christian is determined to destroy her ideal life and reveal the truth about her, and nothing will stand in his way. A twisted game thus begins between the two, and each one tries to gain the upper hand.

I loved the book and couldn't stop reading it. Although the "someone threatens to reveal past deeds" trope isn't new, the execution sure was original. This is a gripping story of revenge, secrets, lies, redemption, gaslighting, hard choices, and consequences. It will make you question if people can truly change their nature and makes amends.

The story draws you in with snips of information without going into so much detail all at once, and I was eager to find out what the heroine hides and what are Christian's motives. And just when I thought I had figured out what was going on, the author pulled a major twist that left me reeling and changed my mindset. I have read it twice to make sure I read it correctly.

The story alternates the past and the present from the POV of Emily. I loved that while the present was written in the first person, the past was written from the third point of view. The two main characters are well-developed with interesting backstories. I didn't like or identify with either Emily or Christian, and Jeremy was a one-dimensional character, but I still cared about the outcome.

Aside from a few minor typos, the writing in this book is excellent. The only issue I had with the book was the overuse of the word "insist" throughout the tale. Some of the actions may have seemed unbelievable, but it wasn't that big of an issue. This is the first book by the author that I've read, and I look forward to reading more of her books. I loved the book and recommend it to those of you looking for something a little different in your thrillers.

* Thank you NetGalley and (publisher) for the opportunity to read this arc.  All opinions are my own.

* For more info about the book: "The Wedding Guest" by Kathryn Croft


No comments:

Post a Comment