Blog Archive

Monday, August 14, 2023

"The Boat House" by Keri Beevis


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"The Boat House" by Keri Beevis is an engrossing thriller that revolves around Emily Worth, a woman with dark secrets, and explores themes such as loss, obsession, and stalking to name a few triggers.

Emily Worth didn't have an easy life. She lost her mother and sister at an early age, and years later, the aunt who raised her. Not long after the death of her loving aunt, her estranged father was diagnosed with cancer. After Emily's father passed away, her life has fallen apart. Her boyfriend, Max Hunter, was not as supportive as he should have been, and she found a listening ear elsewhere. To make amends, he booked them a beautiful boat house on the Norfolk Broad to give them a second chance to reconnect. They, along with their dog, will spend a week there, trying to put the past behind them and pull their relationship back on track. However, what was supposed to be a restful break turns into a nightmare when creepy things start to happen and all hell breaks loose.

I greatly enjoyed the book. It is fast-paced and alternates smoothly between past and present. The opening scene was engrossing and pulled me into the story right away. I liked the way the suspense was gradually built as the story progresses, as well as the undertone of the creepy atmosphere. Each new detail provided added to the anticipation and suspense. While it was quite obvious who the villain was, I still wanted to read on and learn what happened and why.

Keri Beevis's writing style is fluid and smooth, immersing me effortlessly into the world of the characters. Her vivid descriptions brought scenes to life, making me feel as if I were right there with Emily and Max in the boat house. Speaking of that, I liked Emily and identified with her, even though she made some questionable decisions. She's one of those heroines that you really want to root for. I found myself empathizing with her struggles and rooting for her to overcome her past traumas and be honest about it while at it.  And I loved the dog! I also appreciated the tactful way the author handled sensitive issues.

The only issue I had with the book was the inconstancy in some small details. In one scene Emily left the house without her shoes, and in the next one, she put her boots back on. That being said, I love the story and couldn't stop reading it. It was unputdownable and a very suspenseful read that will keep you on the edge of your seat. Definitely recommended!

* Thank you NetGalley and (publisher) for the opportunity to read this arc.  All opinions are my own.

* For more info about the book: "The Boat House" by Keri Beevis

No comments:

Post a Comment