Blog Archive

Monday, March 4, 2024

"The Suite Life" by Portia MacIntosh


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


What a fun read! Having read a couple of Portia MacIntosh's books before, I knew I was in for a good time with "The Suite Life." This entertaining and heartwarming rom-com revolves around a bridesmaid on the lookout for a plus one.

Gigi, a hairdresser, finds herself as her sister’s chief bridesmaid at a destination wedding in a Hawaiian resort, where her ex-boyfriend happens to be the best man. To add insult to injury, he arrives with his new celebrity girlfriend, which is obnoxious to her. Desperate to avoid the pitying glances from family and friends at the upcoming wedding, Gigi dives headfirst into the dating scene, hoping to find a suitable companion. However, her attempts often end in uproarious failure, with each date turning into a hilariously disastrous escapade.

Once at the resort, Gigi is surprised to be upgraded to the deluxe suite and treated like royalty. She doesn't know why, but she certainly makes the most of it. If anyone deserves it, it's her. What follows are lively shenanigans that will put a smile on your face. The Suite Life sure suits our heroine!

I thoroughly enjoyed the book. Gigi is a likable and good-hearted character one can relate to. There are many laugh-out-loud lines and amusing banter, and I just loved the humor and the dad jokes. I particularly enjoyed reading about the bad dates, such as the scene with the Chef (I hate seafood as well!), and the rock show episode, to name a couple. I loved that she was easygoing, didn't hold a grudge, and was quick to forgive (maybe too quick??). However, I felt the author was too easy on the ex. I also loved the exotic setting and the descriptions of the resort and all it had to offer. Yacht? Count me in!

If I have an issue with the book, it's the overuse of the word "insist" throughout. As in her other books that I have read, the author tends to overuse this term, which was a bit irritating. I also didn't like that after finding out the reason for the upgrade, Gigi didn't come clean to the staff. It seemed like exploitation of benefits and showed bad judgment on her part. Those aside, I enjoyed the book immensely. I recommend the book to lovers of the genre and to anyone who enjoys some light romantic comedy with a happy ending. I look forward to reading more books by this author.

* Thank you NetGalley and (publisher) for the opportunity to read this arc.  All opinions are my own.

* For more info about the book: "The Suite Life" by Portia MacIntosh

 

No comments:

Post a Comment