Blog Archive

Thursday, June 6, 2024

"Last Night at Villa Lucia" by Simon McCleave

 













"Last Night at Villa Lucia" by Simon McCleave is a compelling thriller set in Tuscany. The beautiful cover and intriguing blurb grabbed my attention, and the story pulled me in further. It was well-written and flowed at a fast pace.

The story revolves around Cerys, the alcoholic owner of Villa Lucia, a vacation getaway in Tuscany. She is trying to escape her past and forget her abusive ex-husband. Her daughter Lowri, an aspiring musician, is staying with her while deciding on her next move. The villa's caretakers, Lucia and her ex-Mafioso husband Lorenzo, add to the complexity of the setting. Guests at the villa include Zoe, Harry, and their son Charlie. When a body is found floating in the pool, the police suspect foul play. The victim was disliked by many, making everyone at the villa a suspect.

I enjoyed the story very much. The narrative alternates between Cerys' first-person perspective and the third-person perspectives of the other characters, incorporating flashbacks that illuminate the present. It deals with themes of alcoholism, toxic and abusive relationships, and controlling men. The characters were well-rounded and fleshed out. I liked some of them and disliked others. I didn't guess the identity of the culprit, so the reveal caught me by surprise.

I was sold on this one from the very first line. Good plotting, judiciously dropped clues, and twists make this a good read. The only thing I didn't like was the use of drugs by the young characters. Other than that, the storyline is easy to follow, and the author provides an excellent sense of setting. This was my first book by the author, but it will not be my last. I recommend it to those who enjoy thriller novels and reading about characters overcoming life struggles. It is the perfect summer read!

* Thank you NetGalley and (publisher) for the opportunity to read this arc.  All opinions are my own.

* For more info about the book: "Last Night at Villa Lucia" by Simon McCleave


No comments:

Post a Comment