Blog Archive

Thursday, July 18, 2024

"An Academy for Liars" by Alexis Henderson

 















"An Academy for Liars" by Alexis Henderson is a dark academia book, and as a fan of the genre, I was enthusiastic to read it. Let me start by saying this is a very good book. It is well-written, well-plotted, and kept me interested throughout.

The book follows Lennon Carter, a college dropout turned housewife who is invited to enroll in Drayton College, a school of magic hidden in a secret pocket of Savannah. Students at the school learn to hone their gift of persuasion - the ability to control others and, in rare cases, even affect matter itself. At first, all goes well, and Drayton seems like heaven to Lennon. She is captivated by her studies, the campus, her brilliant classmates, and her charismatic adviser, Dante. But something is rotten in Drayton College. And if she is not careful, she will be destroyed by it.

I loved the book and couldn't stop reading. It started a bit slow, but then the pace picked up. The author keeps the story's pace up, and the secrets that are revealed are exciting indeed. The dark atmosphere is well-sketched and convincing. It is one of the best dark academia books I have read recently. It's full of atmosphere. The author writes the scenery and atmosphere so well that the reader is swept into that world.

The book has everything I like about the genre: complex and morally gray characters, good world-building and a magic system, intrigue, and even a bit of romance between an unlikely pair. Additionally, it deals with themes of mental illness, abuse, drug use, friendship, moral conflicts, and teacher/student relationships.

Lennon is imperfect, as likable as she is flawed. I liked the delicate way her mental issues were described. I didn't like or approve of some of her choices and actions. It wasn't easy to relate to her, but I warmed up to her. Her sister was really annoying, quick to judge and criticize. Dante was intriguing, and I liked his mysterious stranger vibes.

I loved the diverse ethnicity, the LGBTQIA+ representation, and the backstories. I really liked that the characters were portrayed as real people with flaws. The author also managed to surprise me with a couple of twists. There are some unanswered questions, though, such as the mystery of the moth, which wasn't clear until the end.

The world-building, characters, magic system, themes, and suspenseful plot make it an enjoyable and engaging read. The book stands on its own, but its ending implies there may be another book on the way (I certainly hope there is). If you love dark academia and flawed characters and don't mind a bit of violent action, then this is totally for you. Full stars from me!

* Thank you NetGalley and (publisher) for the opportunity to read this arc.  All opinions are my own.

* For more info about the book: "An Academy for Liars" by Alexis Henderson

No comments:

Post a Comment