Blog Archive

Monday, August 5, 2024

"The Marriage Test" by Ellie Monago

 













"The Marriage Test" by Ellie Monago is an exciting psychological thriller that will have you pouring over the pages from start to finish.

The concept is very interesting. Four couples participate in a reality TV show, “Relationship Rescue,” set on a tropical island in the Caribbean to save their relationships. Each couple has their own issues, secrets, and agenda: Pregnant Lauren and Tristan, Tatiana and Zarine (a gay couple), Cain and his wife Naomi (a Christian couple), and Blanche and Joshua (a suburban couple). The plot thickens when a murder occurs on the last day of the program, and they are stuck on the island with a murderer.

The author has concocted an intriguing concept, and her writing style is captivating and absorbing. I flew through the pages. The book is written in the first person from multiple perspectives and combines the police interviews of the cast and contestants. While I will never participate in a reality show or am a fan of it, I love reading about it. While the first half of the book focuses on the process, the second half focuses on the murder investigation while continuing with the show. After all, the show must go on...

The author does a great job bringing you into the characters' lives. I loved that each chapter was headed with the character’s name, as it made it easier to differentiate between them. As the plot unfolded, their voices became clearer. We got to know more about the characters who narrated the story than the others. They were more well-fleshed out. Each character has a secret or surprise that slowly unfolds as the story progresses. It is these secrets and surprises that keep the reader on their toes and encourage you to read the next chapter to find out more.

I didn't like most of the contestants (they were all self-centered and unlikable). To be accurate, I liked one or two of the contestants (Lauren, Cain, Tatiana), but my fondness fizzled out the more I got to know them. I found the process and the dynamics of the couples very interesting. I also liked how each couple had a different set of issues.

The author weaves together an excellent, unique book, with plenty of twists and turns to keep the reader hooked. Interwoven within this exciting tale are themes of family, loyalty, infidelity, toxic relationships, daddy issues, and hate speech on social media. I didn't guess the identity of the culprit(s), and the plot kept me guessing right up until the end.

While I loved the book, I didn't like the ending and found it abrupt. Because of that and because I am tired of culprits getting away with things they did, I rate the book 4 out of 5 stars. It was an excellent book, but the ending did not leave me fully satisfied; I wanted a bit more closure and justice. I still recommend the book, as I really enjoyed the way it was written and the way the author expertly built the tension and atmosphere throughout the book.

* Thank you NetGalley and (publisher) for the opportunity to read this arc.  All opinions are my own.

* For more info about the book: "The Marriage Test" by Ellie Monago

No comments:

Post a Comment