Blog Archive

Sunday, March 19, 2023

"An Un Romantic Comedy" by Phoebe MacLeod


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
"An (Un) Romantic Comedy" is a delightful rom-com by Phoebe MacLeod. This is the first book by her that I read, and I was pleasantly surprised. She has quickly become one of my favorite authors in the romantic comedy genre and I will look for other books by her.

The book follows Poppy, a 33-year-old sex and relationships therapist who is at odds with her family. She has two sisters and one brother and is, in fact, the black sheep of her family due to her profession, which her mother deems unrespectable. When Poppy's young sister is getting married, Poppy must come back home for a week of pre-wedding celebrations. She isn't happy about it, to say the least. Her mother is on her case all the time, and her sister Rose isn't that accommodating either. Things improve a bit when her relatives ask her for relationship advice and warm up to her. The plot thickens when she meets Sam, a handsome data scientist, who offers to give her surfing lessons. She didn't expect romance and is firmly against a holiday fling, but her hormones have other ideas. What a girl to do?

I enjoyed the book, the humor, and Poppy most of all! I also loved the sex therapy elements of the story, which enriched the plot. I enjoyed the developing relationships between Poppy and her family and the process they all went through. Some family members, mainly her mom and oldest sister, were horrible to Poppy at first, and I admired Poppy's patience and strength of character. The premise was original, and I was glad it wasn't a typical romance book. The emphasis was more on relationships and less on romance, although the romance was present and on a slow burn as it should be. The book is well-written and hooks the reader right away. I loved the book and highly recommend it to fans of the genre!

For more info about the book: An (Un) Romantic Comedy

* Thank you NetGalley and (publisher) for the opportunity to read this arc. All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment