Blog Archive

Monday, August 21, 2023

"The Perfect Date" by Julia Crouch

 












"The Perfect Date" by Julia Crouch is the perfect summer read. I was immediately captivated by the premise, drawn into the book's gripping world of tension and intrigue.

The book revolves around Caroline (aka Caz), a teacher from London who came back to Brighton to take care of her disabled mother after finding the dead body of a man she dated on one of her walks. Bad luck seems to follow her around, as she finds the body of another man she dated while walking her dogs. She met both men through a dating app, but is it just a coincidence?? When Marcy, an ex-childhood friend and a wealthy divorcee in the present, asked her to house-sit and take care of her dog for a week, Caz agrees. After all, that's the life she would have led if Marcy hadn't spoiled it for her. The plot thickens when odd things start happening around Caz, and the spiral of events that transpire will have you enthralled.

There's nothing I like more than a good psychological thriller, and this one fits the bill perfectly with mysterious deaths, an original premise, and red herrings aplenty to keep the pages turning. All of the characters are vividly described and well-drawn. I especially liked Caz’s gay best friend, Damian, and her artist mum, Ruth. They had colorful personalities!

While some of Caz's decisions felt downright stupid, such as going back to the isolated scene of the crime, hiding things from the police, or hooking up with the wrong guys, I still liked her and rooted for her. A woman who loves dogs is a woman after my own heart. I liked her dog, Joe, who seems smarter than his owner, and her connection with him and the rest of the dogs she took care of.  I also loved the setting and writing.

With themes of toxic friendship, dating, dog caring, stalking, and abuse, the author has weaved a tale that I enjoyed reading. Although I had my suspensions, the author managed to throw me a curveball I didn't see coming. In sum, the characters are impressive, the plot is exciting, and the writing is super. I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a unique tale with distinct characters.

* Thank you NetGalley and (publisher) for the opportunity to read this arc.  All opinions are my own.

* For more info about the book: "The Perfect Date" by Julia Crouch

No comments:

Post a Comment