Blog Archive

Friday, July 5, 2024

"Here One Moment" by Liane Moriarty

 














I have read a few of Liane Moriarty's books and loved them, so I was happy to get my hands on her new book. If you knew when and how you'd die, would you try to avoid it at all costs or accept your fate? Which begs the question: would you want to know the date of your death? This intriguing premise, set in Australia, forms the backbone of Moriarty's latest tale.

Passengers on a plane from Hobart to Sydney are told the time and cause of their death by a mysterious old lady the press dubs the "Death Lady." Initially, no one takes these predictions seriously until some of them start coming true. The book follows several of these passengers, alternating between their perspectives (in the third person) and the fortune teller’s (in the first person). Some fight their fate, while others accept it.

The book explores themes of free will vs. predestination, grief, fate, and love, as well as the Butterfly Effect. This theory from chaos science explains how a tiny change in one part of the world can cause a huge effect elsewhere. The fortune teller is that butterfly, setting in motion a series of events that affect the lives of the passengers. As we get to know them, their interactions can also be thought of as additional ripples in this effect.

The book started slowly but picked up pace. Overall, I enjoyed it. Despite its length, it was a quick read. It was fascinating to read about the different reactions of the people to their predictions. At first, I enjoyed the passengers' portions more than the fortune teller's, but she grew on me. While I appreciated her backstory, I think the author could have tightened some of those portions and trimmed some of the philosophical rants.

I loved how the different storylines were connected, even if it felt a bit contrived at times. The message of living each day as if it were your last, while not new, was conveyed effectively. The book’s exploration of fate and healing resonated with me. Moriarty's writing style, as always, is engaging and vivid, making the characters' journeys compelling. I loved the book and found it very touching. I definitely recommend it to those who enjoy stories about fate, healing, and finding oneself.

* Thank you NetGalley and (publisher) for the opportunity to read this arc.  All opinions are my own.

* For more info about the book: "Here One Moment" by Liane Moriarty

No comments:

Post a Comment